Exercise the easy way
We're halfway through summer now. How are you doing?
I know you are enjoying the sunshine. I know you appreciate the relaxed schedule. I know the vacation with the family has been memorable.
Are you fulfilling your healthy living goals, though? With the kids home life can be hectic, which means it can be difficult to prioritize your own health and get the exercise you need. I know. I struggle with it just as much as you do.
Remember, though, that exercise doesn't have to take place in a gym. It doesn't have to involve fancy equipment and dumbbells.
Last weekend, I took my kids to Cedar Point, the self-proclaimed roller coaster capital of the world. We logged 24,375 steps, or just over 10 miles, in one day! This was hardcore exercise which involved roller coaster hair, selfie snapping, and memory making with the extended family. It's a fantastic way to stay fit, don't you think?
Get yourself out there. Organize activities with the kids that will get you moving. Have fun AND exercise. Prove to yourself that living healthy really is living well.
Here are some additional ideas:
- Organize a trip to the zoo
- Take a walk around the public gardens in your area
- Visit any museum (art, science, natural history). Hint: the bigger the better!
- Bike to the duck pond, the farmer's market, the library, etc.
- Take the kids to the pool AND play with them. (They'll never forget it).
- Make a walk after dinner a family affair
- Go shopping at an outside mall and take the long way to get to the various stores
- Find a beach to stroll
- Hike in the woods
- Rent a canoe or kayak
- Rent space in a community garden and grow your kids' favorite fresh vegetables
You still have about 5 weeks of summer to enjoy. Make them good!