The cheater's healthy potatoes: mashed cauliflower
|Source: Chef it Up|
You know me. I encourage healthy eating by lying and cheating.
Last week I was at it again. I presented my beautiful, unknowing children with a colossal lie. I told them the pureed cauliflower I'd set before them was mashed potatoes. As they licked their lips I urged them to try this delicious dish, which I'd seasoned with a dash of red potatoes, just to ensure the look and consistency was kid-friendly.
Guess what? They devoured it.
This side is creamy, full of flavor, and a sure crowd pleaser. I'm sharing my recipe, just in case you want to get your hands dirty, too:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 small red potatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut a large cauliflower head in quarters
- Wash 4 small red potatoes
- Peel 2 large garlic cloves
- Put cauliflower, cloves and potatoes in saucepan. Add 2 cups of stock and boil until tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Spoon out half of cauliflower and half of potatoes and put in food processor. Add half of liquid and 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add remaining ingredients and puree
- Add sea salt to taste