I get some of my best cooking ideas when I go to restaurants. I like to savor the dishes made by professional chefs and then attempt to recreate them when I get home.
Of course, I'm a simple cook, so recreating a restaurant dish requires that the dish isn't too complicated. This suits me just fine, because easy to make and delicious to eat is my kitchen motto.
Several weeks ago, I went to lunch at a cafe, where I got my latest inspiration. I ordered green beans, dressed up with a bit of blue cheese and walnuts, a combination refreshingly new to me. I promptly went to the grocery store, bought my ingredients, and whipped up this dish.
Green Beans with Walnuts and Blue Cheese:
- Steam green beans in a medium sized skillet
- Meanwhile, chop and toast walnuts over medium-high heat, until nuts are browned
- Drain beans and return to skillet
- Add toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese
- Place lid on skillet, toss, and serve (I served my beans warm, but these would also be great cold, a perfect dish for your next picnic).