Chocolate banana pops!
|Source: happyhealthyslim.tumblr.com via pinterest|
If you are a chocolate lover, no doubt you've both seen and acted upon the recent studies indicating that dark chocolate is flavonoid rich, making it a heart healthy dessert choice. And why not relish in the news that your guilty pleasure is full of anti-oxidants, transforming it from junk food status to health food?
In that spirit, I decided that I'd involve my kids in making a healthy dessert we could all enjoy during these hot summer months: dark chocolate covered, frozen banana pops. Making these pops is easy and quick, making it one of this lazy cook's favorite dessert recipes. Here's how to make some for yourself:
- Choose 4 large bananas or 8 cocktail-sized bananas. Cut the large bananas in half.
- Insert either wooden skewers or popsicle sticks into the end of each banana. Lay bananas on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Freeze for 2 hours or more.
- Over low heat, melt 8 ounces of a good quality dark chocolate. Look for chocolate with at least 70% cocoa that is minimally processed.
- Pour chocolate into a tall, narrow glass and dip each frozen banana in to coat. (When you get to your last few bananas, you may need to use a knife to spread remaining chocolate on bananas).
- If desired, immediately roll bananas in chopped nuts, cut, dried cherries, coconut, granola, sprinkles, or another favorite topping.
- Eat immediately or cover and return to freezer for later. (I like to return to freezer for an hour, then throw remaining bananas in a Ziploc bag).
Don't you love guilt-free desserts?