There is nothing I love more about summer than watching the blood red juice of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries streaming down my son's face. The otherwise insanely picky eater gets some anti-oxidants, some extra vitamins and minerals and the pure, unadulterated joy of eating fresh fruit.
Another thing I love? Desserts become light, juicy, delicious, and actually have some nutritional value.
My all time favorite berry recipe is berry focaccia. It is super easy, which is one of my specialties, and people have compared it to fruit tarts their grandmothers made. (No, I didn't tell them that I spent about 10 minutes making it, and I'm sure their grandmothers would not be happy that they'd made such comparisons, may they rest in peace).
Without further delay, here is the recipe. Enjoy, and share yours if you have a favorite:
Very Berry Focaccia:
- Spray a 13x9 pyrex pan with cooking spray
- Roll out a 1 lb bag of fresh pizza dough and line the pan with it. To make it healthier, try whole wheat or multi-grain dough.
- Place 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and 3 TBS of butter in a food processor. Combine
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the dough
- Top with 1 pint blueberries, 6 oz. raspberries, and 6 oz. blackberries
- Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture on top
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until dough is brown and berries are bubbling.
Photo by Clarita